Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cinco De Mayo 2011

May 5, 2011

Vamos a celebrar! Today we commemorate the history, culture, and ancestry of Mexico. Cinco de Mayo has been a celebrated holiday since May 5, 1862 after the unexpected victory over the French army. The Mexicans were considerably outnumbered and the French were significantly better equipped. Secondly, this was the first battle since the Battle of Puebla that a country in the Americas was invaded by an army from another continent.


Cinco de Mayo is primarily celebrated in Mexico, but celebrations also take place in the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean Islands. Join Mexico in celebrating its unity and patriotism by attending a parade, listening to mariachi music, and practicing folk dancing! You could even host a Cinco de Mayo party complete with colorful decorations, Mexican cuisine, and of course, margaritas!


Also a big happy birthday wishes go out to Scott and Matt – Happy Birthday Guy’s and enjoy you day!

1 comment:

  1. I always find this day so interesting! I spent the last 14 years working with families from the Latin American countries and Mexico. While Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican celebration, very few Mexicans actually celebrated it until they came to the United States. In fact, many of my families didn't even know that there was a celebration on this day. I discovered this when I came to my ESL class the first year all prepared for a big celebration on the fifth of May and no one knew what I was talking about.

    The celebrations that we held were actually planned more by the caucasions that I knew than the Mexicans. I began to ask questions about how these celebrations came to be and the best that I could ascertain was that, in an effort to help include the Mexicans in the community, someone, somewhere knew of a community who had held a celebration on this day and it seemed to bring the Anglo and the Mexican communities a little closer. Now it has become widespread throughout the United States and, interestingly, more Mexicans celebrate it here than they did in their home country.

    ReplyDelete

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...