Tuesday, August 9, 2011

S'Mores anyone?


Today we celebrate S'Mores.  In case you don’t know what those are, they are a wonderful treat originally made at campouts for the girl scouts.  In fact the first recipe can be found in the publication "Tramping and Trailing with the Girl Scouts" of 1927.  They are made by taking a graham cracker, breaking it in half and placing a half of a chocolate bar on top.  Then you roast a marshmallow until it is toasted and soft.  Place the marshmallow on the chocolate, then top with the other half of the graham cracker.

Now I have to tell you I have never had a s'more....believed to have gotten this name as a shortened version of some more.  I was a girl scout, and have been camping, so I don’t know how I ever missed out on this treat.  So...when I saw this date on the calendar, I had to fully research the information for you.  So, I went and got all the ingredients to make them myself.  Since I didn’t have time to build a campfire, I roasted the marshmallows over the flame on my stove. 

You can't hold them too close, or they will catch on fire.  While I like flaming marshmallows....it doesn't heat them up all the way through.  So, my advice is to hold them back for a while, let them get gooey in the middle...then catch them on fire to put a crust on them.

I have to say I was not disappointed with my first attempt, however next time, gonna let the marshmallows heat up a little longer, that way the chocolate will melt some and get softer.

As I was eating it there in the kitchen, I couldn't help but think how wonderful it would be to eat one around a campfire in the cool fall air, while telling ghost stories.  That will give me something to look forward to as Fall approaches.

As for today, if you have never tried a S'more, give it a shot!  If you have, today is the perfect excuse for making them again.  You don't have to have a campfire...you can also make them in the microwave or even get a S'mores pop tart.   Here is how you make them in the microwave:

Microwave S'Mores
  • Graham crackers, broken into squares
  • Hershey's plain milk chocolate bars, broken into sizes to fit the graham cracker squares
  • Large marshmallows

Take one (1) large graham cracker and break it in half (one for top cracker and one for bottom cracker). Place one graham part on and plate and top it with a large marshmallow. Put in the microwave on High for 10 to 12 seconds or under the marshmallow doubles in size; remove the plate from the microwave.

Top the hot marshmallow with a square of chocolate and then with the remaining graham cracker part. Squeeze down until the marshmallow begins to puff out of the sides of the s'more.

Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...