Friday, October 21, 2011

10/21 Mammography

By Diane Forrest, RN


The first of this month we told you that October is National Breast Cancer Awareness month.  Then later we talked about Metastatic Breast Cancer.  Well today is Mammography day.
Mammography is the process of using low energy x-rays to examine the human breast as a diagnostic tool for detecting cancer.  The machine, which could have only been designed by a mean man, flattens the breast in order to locate any abnormal masses.  Woman are encouraged to have a Mammogram done every 2 years between the ages of 50 to 74, earlier if there is a family history of breast cancer.

Check with your local hospital or cancer screening facilities.  They may be offering free or discounted mammograms today.  So encourage the women in your life to have one done today, and get one for yourself too!

Take this quiz to test your knowledge about all things mammogram. What do you know about mammography?

1. No one in my family has breast cancer so I don't have to worry about being checked.
A. True.
B. False.

2. I don't need a mammogram if I don't have any pain.
A. True.
B. False.

3. The size of my breast doesn't affect the risk of getting breast cancer.
A. True.
B. False.

4. Finding a lump in your breast means you have breast cancer.
A. True.
B. False.

5. A mammogram is a painless examination.
A. True.
B. False.

6. I already had one mammogram and it didn't show any cancer so I don't need another one.
A. True.
B. False.

7. I need to have routine mammograms if I am over the age of 40 even if my doctor doesn't tell me to have them.
A. True.
B. False.

8. If a mammogram finds something in an examination there is still enough time for treatment options.
A. True.
B. False.

Click here for the answers:  http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/content.aspx?ID=4647&lvl=3&lvlID=340


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...