Sunday, October 2, 2011

National Fried Scallop Day - Yum

By Diane Forrest,

Scallops are a sea creature that lives in a shell. They range in size from 2 inches to 5 inches and have the ability to swim and leap about by snapping their shells. They also snap their shells when their eyes sense a change of light or danger approaching. The muscle used for these activity is the only part of animal that is eaten.  They are like oysters, but they do not make pearls.

I am telling you this because today is National Fried Scallop Day, and if you are gonna fry some up, you might want to know what they are.  I am not an expert on this subject, in fact I can honestly say I have only had them once from a seafood buffet, and they didn't leave a memorable impression on  me.  After doing some research on the subject, I have found that the goodness is all in the way they are prepared.   In fact there were so many glowing reports about fried scallops, that I am gonna give them another try!  I found a quick and easy recipe for you to try, so if you have never tried them, today would be a great time to see what you have been missing.  If you are already a fan of scallops, then there is no better day than today to enjoy them again.  Like my mama always told me, You won't know if you like it if you never try it, so on National fried Scallop Day, try some for yourself to see if you will become a fan.


Fried Scallops

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups scallops, cut to about 3/4-inch cubes if large
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • fine dry bread crumbs

Preparation:
If scallops are large, cut into 3/4-inch cubes. Dry completely with paper toweling or clean towels. In a bowl, combine flour, salt, and paprika. In another bowl, whisk eggs with water. Put bread crumbs in a third bowl. Dip scallops in the flour mixture, and then dip in egg, then in the bread crumbs. Fry in hot oil at about 370° until nicely browned, about 2 minutes.

Serves 6.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...