Monday, November 28, 2011

Lemon Cream Pie Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest,

Sunday lunch after church was always the same when I was growing up.  We had roast, rice and gravy.  Once I got married...we had fried chicken for Sunday lunch.  It was always followed by my husband's favorite, Lemon Pie.  Lemon pie is a favorite dessert here in the south.   Would be hard to find someone who didn't like it.  It is a light and cool treat on hot summer days, and delicious at holiday meals.

My mother gave me her recipe, which is not hard at all to make.  I do have trouble making meringue, so. .sometimes just use cool whip.  Below is her recipe for Lemon Ice box pie, and since today is Lemon Cream Pie day, why not try your hand at making one.  You will be glad you did!

(Google Image) 

Lemon Ice Box Pie
  • 1 large graham cracker pie crust that says extra servings
  • 2 Cans Condensed Milk
  • 1/2 cup of squeezed lemon juice (probably 3-4 Lemons)
  • 3 egg yolks
  • Combine condensed milk, lemon juice and egg yolks and stir until all mixed and thickened.


Meringue
  • 3 egg whites
  • 5-6 Tablespoons Sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla


Beat egg whites until they won't come out of the bowl if you turn it upside down. Add sugar and vanilla. Mix good. Put on top of pie. Bake pie at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until it has as much brown on top as you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...