Friday, November 25, 2011

National Parfait Day

(Google Image)



By Diane Forrest,

I remember the first time my daddy took me to Dairy Queen and told me I could order anything I wanted.  My eyes got so wide, I'm sure they were larger then my stomach.  Of course I had to get the biggest thing I saw, and that happened to be a peanut buster parfait.  This was a delicious treat that came in a large glass.  The bottom of the glass had a layer of chocolate syrup and peanuts.  This was covered with a layer of ice cream, and another layer of chocolate and peanuts, another layer of ice cream then topped with more chocolate and peanuts and a cherry on top.  Could there be anything more perfect?  In fact, parfait is a French word that literally means perfect.

(Google Image)

The parfait was first concocted in 1894 and usually involves ice cream, whipped cream, fruit, nuts and syrups.  In the U.S. however, there have been parfaits made from mashed potatoes, pulled pork and BBQ sauce.  Some places serve a breakfast parfait using yogurt, fruit and granola, well, its not just for breakfast.

(Google Image)

Today is National Parfait Day, so to celebrate, why not enjoy one of these perfect treats.  Oh, and no, I could not finish my peanut buster parfait, my eyes were bigger than my stomach!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...