Friday, December 9, 2011

National Lager Day


(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest,

I am not much of a beer drinker, and when I say not much, I have probably had 3 in my life. Well unless you count root beer, cause I drink that every day.  I remember every day when my father came home from work he would grab a can of beer, sit in his favorite chair and relax.  When I became of age to drink, I went to get a can of beer to drink while sitting back and relaxing, but the taste to me was very good at all.  I tried again a couple more times, but each time the same result, so I changed over to root beer.

Since I am not a beer connoisseur, I don't know about all the types, brands or other things that makes one different from the other.  I remember that in high school science class we learned the process using yeast and hops, fermenting and storage, but that is the extent of my knowledge.  I have a cousin who tells me about his friend that brews his own, and sends pictures, but he tells me they all look the same to him.


Today is National Lager Day.  Lager is a beer that that is made from malted barley that is brewed and stored in cold temperatures.  A bottom fermenting yeast is one of the ingredients and was first discovered in the 1400's during the Medieval Period.  The term Lager means storage.  Once the beer was brewed, it was stored in cold caves while it fermented, for at least 3 weeks.  There is a Pale Lager, and a Dark Lager, before the 19th century, there was only dark lager.  The introduction of the pale lager in the mid-19th century was so successful that it spread all over the world, and is now the most successful lager.

There are many lagers for you to try, here is a list of some you may want to look for:
  • Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel
  • Bell’s Consecrator
  • Dixie Blackened Voodoo
  • Dock Street’s Royal Bohemian Pilsner
  • Heavy Seas Marzen
  • Iron Hill’s Vienna Lager
  • Riverhorse Lager
  • Sly Fox Oktoberfest
  • Stoudt’s Gold
  • Stoudt’s Pils
  • Victory’s Festbier
  • Victory’s Prima Pils


To celebrate National Lager day, why not head to your local pub and blow the froth off one.  Just be sure to drink and drive responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...