Wednesday, April 11, 2012

National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month



(Google Image) 
By Chef Diane

When my husband was having dental problems, one of his favorite things to eat was grilled cheese sandwiches.  That’s because they were hot, soft, and delicious.  I made so many that I perfected the skill.  I heat up my flat skillet; butter the bread, using white bread and real butter.  I put one slice on the skillet, then place one slice of American cheese, either Kraft or Borden's, then top off with another buttered slice of bread.  I leave it on the skillet on low, to let the bread turn golden brown before flipping it over to brown the other side.  You don't want to cook it too high, the bread will brown, but the cheese won't melt.  In just a few minutes you will have a perfect grilled cheese sandwich.

(Google Image) 
I didn't know at the time that there was a whole month dedicated to the Grilled Cheese Sandwich.  So, I set about trying to learn more about this tastey treat.  The grilled cheese sandwich has been around since the 1920's.  Cheese sandwiches have been around longer, but once you heat them up it really raises the bar.  My extensive research lead me to this site: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/40-amazing-grilled-cheese-sandwich-recipes with 40 amazing grilled cheese sandwich recipes, and seeing as there is a whole month to celebrate the sandwich, here are some new ways to try it.

(Google Image)
There are thousands of combinations you can use; the different cheeses, different types of bread and even the use of condiments all change the taste and flavor.  There is even a grilled cheese academy where an annual contest is held for the best grilled cheese recipe.  To learn more about it click here:  http://grilledcheeseacademy.com/.

(Google Image) 
Grilled cheese sandwiches are a great comfort food.  I like eating them with tomato soup, and to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month I plan to have it once or twice this month.  If you have a special way to fix them, let us know in the comment section.  If you have never made one, why not try this recipe from allrecipes.com and let us know what you think.

(Google Image) 
Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Ingredients:
  • 4 slices white bread
  • 3 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 2 slices Cheddar cheese


Directions:
  1. Preheat skillet over medium heat.
  2. Generously butter one side of a slice of bread.
  3. Place bread butter-side-down onto skillet bottom and add 1 slice of cheese.
  4. Butter a second slice of bread on one side and place butter-side-up on top of sandwich.
  5. Grill until lightly browned and flip over; continue grilling until cheese is melted.
  6. Repeat with remaining 2 slices of bread, butter and slice of cheese.
(Google Image) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...