Monday, April 16, 2012

Nosy Neighbor Day



(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest

I grew up watching Bewitched when I came home from school.  I loved that show, loved watching he spells Samantha cast, and loved the Kravitz's.  Mrs. Kravitz would always witness the strange goings on over at the Steven's home, but by the time she got her patient husband Abner to go check it out, things would magically be returned to normal, and Mrs. Kravitz was once again proven to be crazy.

(Google Image) 
Some neighbors can't help but be nosy, checking out to see what the neighbors are up to.  Sometimes it’s a good thing to have someone watching out for you.  They can alert you if strangers are prowling around, they can assist you if you go out of town, pick up your mail and newspaper.  I have always felt safe in my neighborhood.  Across the street lives a "nosy neighbor".  He is in his 80's a widower.  He watches out his front door, checking everyone's houses, making sure everything is ok.  He walks every morning through the neighborhood, and knows everyone's name.  He recently told me that he is moving out of his home and into an apartment.  He was just tired of the routine maintenance and upkeep of his home, so he gave it to his granddaughter as a wedding present.  I am very sad of his moving, but plan on informing the new residents that they have some very large shoes to fill.

(Google Image) 
I try not to be too nosy, however lately I have to admit I have become a little nosy.  My next door neighbor also recently moved, and she sold her home to some young newlyweds.  The whole transaction happened so fast that it was hard not to notice.  As my neighbor left with the last of her belongings on Saturday evening, I awoke on Sunday morning to see the new owners loading it up with their belongings.  The yard and street were full of cars and friends helping the couple move in, and I went to visit the following Tuesday.  They were still unpacking, so I didn't stay long, but I noticed several gift boxes that I’m sure were wedding gifts, and I was anxious to learn what they contained.  I have tried to give them their space, but it is hard not to glance over when I leave my home, to see what is going on over there.

(Google Image) 
Today is nosy neighbor day, and while I don't suggest you peeping over into a window, why not stop by with a batch of cookies and visit for a while to catch up and see how they are.

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...