Sunday, May 6, 2012

National Nurse's Week


(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest, RN

Today starts a week-long celebration of a group of people who are near and dear to my heart.  It is National Nurse's week.  This week was picked because of the birth of Florence Nightingale, the "mother" of nursing.

(Google Image) 
My first day in nursing school we were asked why did we want to become a nurse.  I didn’t have to think long about my answer.  I have always loved helping people, especially when they are sick.  It makes me feel good when I can help someone else feel better.  I started preparing early for a life of nursing.  I took several sciences and biology course in high school, even took Latin, because most medical terms and medicines have Latin origins.  I took first aid as one of my pre nursing courses...just so I could practice putting splints on my family.

(Google Image) 
When I started working as a nurse it was the most rewarding experience ever.  The gratitude in the faces of the patients and their families was priceless.  Nurses not only work in hospitals.  They can be found at schools, doctor's offices, home health, nursing homes, businesses, and private duty.  They are hardworking, and caring.  They not only take care of you, but teach you to care for yourself as well.

(Google Image) 
Today starts a week-long celebration of a group of people who are near and dear to my heart.  It is National Nurse's week.  This week was picked because of the birth of Florence Nightingale, the "mother" of nursing.

(Google Image) 
Nurses work long hours, days, nights, weekends and holidays.  They spend alot of time away from family and friends, but most of them love what they do.  This week is National Nurse's Week, so take time to show some appreciation to the nurses you know.  I know they will appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...