Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bratwurst Day

(Google Image) 

By Diane Forrest

I have always loved to sing, and so I love movies that include singing.  One of my favorite moves are the Sister Act Movies where Whoopi Goldberg plays a nun who encourages singing.  In Sister Act 2, there is a really great line about the convent menu.

"Sister Mary Robert: The only thing the chef knows how to cook is German sausage.
Sister Mary Lazarus: Day after day, liverwurst, bratwurst, beerwurst...
Sister Mary Patrick: It's the worst.

For some reason this quote has always stuck in my head.  I have never tried bratwurst, until this past march.  I have had plenty of sausage, but never any brats.   In March, we celebrated my father's birthday, and my son went shopping for his birthday dinner.  He grilled some hamburgers, brats, and corn as seen in the above picture.  I have to admit they were very good.  In fact, I almost didn't even want a hamburger!

(Google Image) 
Today is Bratwurst Day. The name of this sausage is the compound form of two German words—“brat” which means “fry” and “wurst” which means “sausage.”  Bratwursts originated in Germany and have been around since the 14th century. These sausages are generally made from pork, veal, or beef and are usually grilled or fried. Often times, they are served in rolls or buns. Many preparations of bratwurst exist worldwide. For example, in the United States, they are commonly eaten with brown mustard, ketchup, and onions.

(Google Image) 
In Sheboygan, Wisconsin, they have hosted a Bratwurst Day since 1953.  Bratwurst Day is a huge festival with music, a parade, flea market, a circus, and, naturally, brats, served by the thousands. The local Jaycees Club sponsors the event to celebrate the area's German heritage and to promote their town as the Bratwurst Capital of the World. "A true brat lover knows there's only one way to enjoy a Sheboygan brat," says Mary Lou Haen, past president of the Jaycees in Sheboygan. "It's called 'a double with the works.'" Two grilled brats are served on a Sheboygan hard roll (that's a special bun rolled in cornmeal and baked to crusty, tender perfection) with pickles, ketchup, onions, and stone-ground mustard.

(Google Image) 
So today, on Bratwurst day, why not grill some for your friends and family…and don't forget the beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...