Tuesday, September 11, 2012

National Honey Month



(Google Image) 
By Diane Forrest

You'll be my soft and sweet
I'll be your strong and steady
You'll be my glass of wine
I'll be your shot of whiskey
You'll be my sunny day
I'll be your shade tree
You'll be my honeysuckle
I'll be your honey bee

Those words are a part of a song by Blake Shelton, the video is even cuter, and you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZjosn2u1gA

(Google Image) 
When my husband was growing up he constantly had coughs and sore throats.  My husband wasn't a sickly person, he just happened to like the medicine.  His Grandmother used to fix a jar of honey and whiskey to soothe a sore throat or cough.  Each time some of the symptoms were exhibited, she would pop a large spoonful of medicine down his throat.

Honey is one of the world's perfect foods.  Not only is it used as a natural sweetener, but it also lasts forever, never spoils.  Honey has been used for centuries for medicinal purposes, from gastric disturbances to ulcers, wounds and burns, through ingestion or topical application, but only recently have the antiseptic and antibacterial properties of honey been chemically explained.  I even read that honey may also help those suffering from allergies.  It was said that taking a spoonful a day of locally produced honey will help build up immunities to local pollen, thereby decreasing allergy symptoms during seasonal outbreaks.
(Google Image) 
Honey is produced by bees after they collect nectar from flowers.  Each type of honey has its own unique flavor. Honeys may range from clover and eucalyptus to orange blossom, buckwheat and sage. Generally, lighter colored honeys are milder in flavor, while darker honeys are usually more robust.
(Google Image) 
Americans consume nearly 1.5 pounds of honey per person annually – mixing it into sweet and savory recipes, adding spoonful’s to tea and other beverages, and drizzling it over biscuits, toast and muffins.

Honey is also beneficial as a beauty treatment. Honey is a humectant, which means it attracts and retains moisture. This makes honey a natural fit in a variety of moisturizing products including cleansers, creams, shampoos and conditioners.
(Google Image) 
September is National Honey Month.  If you get a tickle in your throat, or want a honey mustard dip for your chicken wings, or a nice smooth facial, pick up a jar today and give honey a try.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...