Sunday, February 3, 2013

National Carrot Day



(Google Image) 
By Chef Diane

We have been having some unseasonably warm weather lately, so when it turned a little chilly, I decided to make a pot of chili for me to eat.  Every time I fix chili, it reminds me of a friend of mine who's wife made him some chili, and put carrots in it.  He loves carrots, but not necessarily in chili.  Carrots are a root vegetable, usually orange in color.  The can be purple, red, white or yellow as well.
(Google Image) 

They are very nutritious and crunchy, and every time I think of them, I can see Buggs Bunny asking "What's Up Doc?"  Carrots contain beta-carotene and are rich with Vitamin A. According to Wikepedia.com, Massive overconsumption of carrots can cause carotenosis, a benign condition in which the skin turns orange. Carrots are also rich in dietary fiber, antioxidants and minerals. Ethno-medically, the roots are used to treat digestive problems, intestinal parasites, and tonsillitis or constipation.
(Google Image) 
Lack of vitamin A can cause poor vision, including night vision, and adding it back into the diet can restore vision.

My husband loved the baby carrots cooked in brown sugar, I prefer eating them shredded and raw as in a salad like carrot raisin salad, or just sprinkled on salad greens. My favorite way to eat them is hidden in a Carrot Cake!
(Google Image)  
Today is National Carrot Day, so increase your eye site and much on a few with some dip or cook them in a stew, or bake a cake - the uses are endless!

Did you know that: The average person will consume 10,866 carrots in a lifetime!
(Google Image) 
Dream of carrots - it portends prosperity and health; For a young woman to eat them denotes she will contract an early marriage and be the mother of several hardy children!

(Google Image) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...