Friday, March 1, 2013

Celebrating Dr. Seuss




By Diane Forrest

When my son turned 16, I threw a Sweet 16 party for him at our church, with a Dr. Seuss theme. I had found hats for everyone, decorations, and a large selections of books on eBay to decorate the tables with.  My son loved Dr. Seuss from a very early age, and I thought it would be a nice passage to the way to adulthood.  My mother ridiculed me for my choice, however unbeknownst to me, Dr. Seuss was also the years homecoming theme, and the party was a huge success!

Dr. Suess has made an impact on every child's life which is why it is fitting to have him kick off the Read across America Day.  This is also Theodore Giselle's (Dr. Seuss) birthday. Kids and even grown up's love the rhyming and funny adventures from his books, many college students are given a copy of "Oh the Places You'll Go" when they graduate high school or college.

From the Cat in the Hat, to the Grinch, to the Horton who hears a "Who", not only do his books inspire children to read, but they also teach about the rules of life, and how to live right.

Today is Dr. Seuss Day, and here are some of my favorite quotes leave us a comment and let us know about your favorite Dr. Seuss story:

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn the more places you'll go.”

“Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”

“So be sure when you step, Step with care and great tact. And remember that life's A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed) Kid, you'll move mountains.”

“Remember me and smile, for it's better to forget than to remember me and cry.”


[All images from Google]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...