Sunday, March 17, 2013

Thanks Mom - Oatmeal Cookies




By Chef Diane

This year for Valentines, instead of spending tons on money for candy for everyone in my family, I decided to bake some delicious homemade cookies for friends and neighbors.  Trouble is, everyone has their favorite.  My father likes peanut butter, mostly cause everyone else stays away from them!  My mother likes sugar cookies, my daddy's neighbor likes chocolate chip, and my son likes the oatmeal.  I spent 2 days baking packing and mailing cookies to everyone, and the first batch I made were the oatmeal.  The others could be delivered locally.  I have added a little extra to my oatmeal cookie mix, and I included the recipe below.  Instead of plain raisins, I have found a raisin/craisin mix that has light and dark raisins, and crasins.  I  use half a bag of these, and I have enough to make 2 batches.  I also add chopped pecans, for protein and deliciousness!


The first oatmeal cookies were created during the late 1800's in England. These cookies, however, were not the same consistency as we know of them today; they were more oatcakes than actual cookies. During the Middle Ages, spices, nuts, and raisins were commonly added to oatmeal cookie recipes.


Oats are not only tasty, but they are very nutritious too, they are full of fiber, and help to lower cholesterol too.  Today is Oatmeal Cookie day, for a delicious snack, try this recipe to make yourself and family a treat, but if you don't have time to bake today, you can always get the store bought kind, or even an oatmeal cream pie.  

Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
  • 3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 1 cup raisins

Preparation
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well. 

Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. 
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered. 

  • Prep Time: 20 min
  • Cook Time Time: 08 min
(All images from Google) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...