Monday, April 1, 2013

Celebrating PB&J Day



By Diane Forrest

When my son first started surfing around on the Internet, he found this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekIzGfJkBs

He thought it was wonderful, and watched it over and over.  Its one of those tunes that stick in your head, and now every time I think about Peanut Butter and Jelly…this song starts to play in my head.

There are just some things that naturally got together like bacon and eggs, mashed potatoes and gravy, chicken and dumplings and peanut butter and jelly.  Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are a staple for young kids growing up.  My uncle who recently turned 75 continues to eat a pb and j sandwich for lunch nearly every day.  My father and aunt still kid him about that, and when he moved to San Antonio, he took some Spanish classes to learn how to speak the language, and he found a gift for my dad, a paper napkin holder with the words, crema de mani y jalea, which means peanut butter and jelly.

When I was in school, my brother decided he liked his peanut butter and jelly mixed together and then spread on the bread.  I didn't like it that way, preferred mine with the peanut butter on one side, and the jelly on the other, but I had to suffer with it mixed until he got tired of it, which seemed to last forever!

According to punchbowl.com, the average American consumes 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches by the age of 18? The combination of sweet jelly and salty peanut butter has been a staple in school lunchboxes for over fifty years.
According to one story, American soldiers invented the peanut butter and jelly sandwich during World War II. They decided to combine their bread, jelly, and peanut butter rations into a fabulous new treat. When the soldiers returned home after the war, peanut butter and jelly sales soared.
Unfortunately, I recently read that a child took a PB & J sandwich to school and it was taken away from him.  Apparently kids are prohibited from bringing foods containing peanut butter because there are some students who have allergies.  Well, at least they can still enjoy this delicious treat at home.

Today is National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day, so why not remember your younger days and fix a nice PB & J, some chocolate milk, and some Cheetos.  What is your favorite type of peanut butter and jelly?  Let us know in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...