Monday, April 22, 2013

National Garden Month


By Diane Forrest

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row.

I have a friend who loves spending time in the yard.  She is always outside either cleaning or planting or doing something in the yard.  She is always complaining if it rains, because she can't get outside.  I am just the opposite.  I love to see it rain, it gives me an excuse to stay out of the yard.
I have never been much of a yard person; I prefer air conditioning to the hot humid days of Mississippi, and all the bugs that go along with it.   I do like for my yard to look nice, but.... getting it that way is certainly not my favorite thing. 

According to Nationalgardenmonth.org, every April communities, organizations, and individuals nationwide celebrate gardening during National Garden Month. Gardeners know, and research confirms, that nurturing plants is good for us: attitudes toward health and nutrition improve, kids perform better at school, and community spirit grows. Join the celebration and help to make America a greener, healthier, more livable place.
TLC offers some ways to help celebrate this month.  They include:
  • Plant a row for the hungry
  • Organize a yard share in your community
  • Garden with a friend or neighbor
  • clean out your garden storage area and inventory your stuff
  • Organize a flower brigade and take fresh flowers to the local nursing home or hospitals.



Not only is it the time for planting fresh flowers and plants, but also fresh fruits and vegetables.  My father has already put out his tomato plants, and his neighbor has put out squash, zucchini, peppers and beans.   Not only do they grow enough for their families, but also have plenty to share.

For more gardening ideas, click on this site, and start planting your garden today!  http://www.nationalgardenmonth.org/

(All images from Google) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Birthday Dad!

  October 15, 2023 Each day, I walk into my den to see what in new and what are my ‘to do’ items for the day and say good morning, Dad. This...